Welcome to Black Watch Stables, my model horse stable and (beginning) customizing studio! I'll post all sorts of things here, from CMs I'm working on or have finished, to show pix and results, to real horse ramblings, etc. I will also entertain suggestions, so if you have one, contact me!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Performance Priorities

So today I've been thinking of what direction I'd like to take my collection/showstring in for the long term, and i've basically decided that my focus needs to be on performance showing, both in the OF ring and the CM/AR ring.  Over the last year, i've gotten more and more consistent in my performance showing, and I'm more than holding my own in the tough competition here in Region 5, and having lots of fun doing it.  You guys all know how my boys did at NAN, and that success continued in the fall -- Atari won the CM/AR Dressage classes at Wichita Falls and Red Dirt Roundup in Oklahoma; Logan won the CM/AR Showjumping at Wichita Falls and Red Dirt Roundup, and they were Champion and Reserve in the Specialty Performance championship on CM/AR performance day at Red Dirt.  Mahoney has been retired, but his replacement, a dapple grey "Valvella" strapless named Timeless Crusade BWS, is very close to her Superior Division horse after only a year of showing.  I've also picked up a PS Saddlebred in Glossy Palomino Sabino for Fine Harness and Saddleseat performance, and MAAAAYBE parade.  (We'll have to see about that -- parade sets are NOT cheap.)

Anyway, so I've been talking to Alicia as usual, and come to the conclusion that I need to get down what tack and props i have and what i need on paper so that I can better evaluate my situation and performance showing goals. =)  I've been doing a lot of goal evaluation this year, but its because i have less time to actually plan entries and get things together in between shows due to grad school.  I have to streamline the process!

So, with that, here goes.

I have:
Saddles:

  • Dressage (Skybova, needs updating)
  • Small Trad Jumping (Skybova)
  • Regular Trad Jumping (Skybova)
  • Cutback (needs updating)
  • All - Around Western (Corbett)
Bridles:

  • Dressage Full Bridle (Skybova, browband by Vogel, for Atari)
  • Dressage snaffle bridle (Skybova)
  • Figure 8 Elevator Bridle (Skybova, for Logan)
  • Raised Hunter Pelham Bridle (Skybova, for Logan)
  • Raised Hunter Snaffle Bridle (Skybova)
  • Braided Rawhide Bosal (Heather Abounader)
  • Working Western Bridle (Corbett)
  • Bling Western Bridle (Corbett)
Breastplates/Breastcollars

  • Jumper Breastgirth (Skybova)
  • Jumper Breastplate (Skybova)
  • 5 Point Jumper Breastplate (Skybova)
  • Braided Breastcollar (Heather Abounader)
  • Bling Breastcollar (Corbett)
  • Working Breastcollar (Corbett)

Boots:
  • Leather buckle gallop boots (Skybova)
  • Crossed front Open front boots (Skybova)
  • Hunter Ankle boots (buckle) (Skybova)
  • Open front Jumper Boots with Tabs (Skybova, for Logan)
  • Ankle Boots with Tabs (Skybova, for Logan)
  • Purple Bell Boots (2 sets) (Skybova)
  • Purple Sports Medicine Boots (Ensor)
  • Black Sports Medicine Boots (Ensor)
Miscellaneous:

  • Running Martingale Attachment (Skybova)
  • Girth Guard (Skybova)
  • Grey polo wraps (??)
  • Crocheted ear net (Skybova)
  • 3 fleece half pads (Skybova)
  • White Danish WB Brand Pad (Skybova)
  • White plain dressage pad (Skybova)
  • Green/Purple jumper pad (Skybova)
  • White/Green jumper pad (Skybova)
  • Shaped Hunter pad (Skybova)
  • Braided/Sworovski/Silver Sock halter (Heather Abounader)
Props:

  • Dressage Fence
  • Footing Cloth
  • "Chain Link" arena wall
  • Hunter/Jumper fence
  • 4 Flower Pots 
  • 2 Flower Boxes
  • Cross Country "waterfall" fence
  • Foxhounds
  • Meadowbrook Cart
  • 2 Barrels
  • Trail Bridge
  • Teeter Totter Bridge
  • Miscellaneous small games props
  • Lots of poles

*Whew!*  Okay, so I have lots of stuff. Some of that (the stuff from Erin Corbett and the Breastcollar from Heather Abounader) has not arrived yet, but is on its way. I've come to the conclusion that I need a few things for sure -- some to complete current entries like:

  • Cows (at least two -- one running and one turning to the right)
  • Solid Arena Wall
  • Footing Box
but others to work into new entries so that I can show in as many performance classes as possible... I have to admit that i'm always more than a little jealous of people who have huge prop collections and tack boxes that are overflowing -- I want to have that sort of collection!  So for the record, things I need for the future include:
  • Fine Harness
  • Fine Harness Cart
  • ASB Bridle
  • TWH Bridle
  • Cutback Saddle
And then the things that I would really like to have but which will have to be worked in

  • Hunter Jumper Doll
  • Western Rail Doll (in either black/red/ecru/silver or hunter/purple/grey/silver)
  • Showmanship Doll (prefer a child, but doesn't have to be)
  • Working Cowboy Doll
  • Saddleseat Doll
  • New Showjump with more ring flair
  • Foxhunting Diorama (can also be used for natural trail)
  • Breastcollar Harness for Cleveland Bay (Mahoney is going to come out of retirement so he can be my harness horse -- he's the only horse my cart fits at the moment)
  • Showmanship/Draft Stallion presentation set & Handler for Constantinople
  • Crystal/Braided/Silver stock halter for my Stone Weanling
So I don't think that this is unattainable -- It's going to take rearranging my priorities and probably buying many fewer OF's, but fortunately there haven't been TOO too many new OFs that i've got on my "must have" list.  There are several AR's that I'd like to have, and I'm in the process of purchasing one that i've wanted for a very long time (basically since I got into the showing aspect of the hobby) that i found U/P and will need to be customized.  Once she arrives though, I'll send her off for her customization and paint, and then I'll have an AR performance horse i can show in almost every class in at least 3 divisions.  She shouldn't need her own tack, either, with the exception of a showmanship halter, since mine only fits Lady Phase. =)

As for NAN 2012, it's probably not in the cards for me right now.  As much as i'd really really love to go, if i do send entries they'll have to go by proxy with either Alicia or Lauren, and I don't know that i'd want to send performance entries with them.  I'll of course send halter horses -- Constantinople is multi qualified already, and I can't wait to see how my Reiner and my Eberl Hermes do in the coming months.  I'd also like for Taylin and Mindi to get another chance at doing better -- Mindi especially got robbed this year i think.  Not that she wasn't top caliber, because she was, but I think the judges were not looking for quite so much flash as she had. ;)  Its cool though -- she's still one of my absolute favorites :)

Okay, enough blather.  I'm going to let this list percolate for a bit and probably post some commentary on it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment